Job Description : The person responsible for supporting / driving development and maintenance of a strong Financial Control framework
- Ownership of accounting and month end process for own speciality technical area (which will consist of multiple SBU's) of focus from an FC perspective (ie ensure initial review of month end reports is of sufficient quality to ensure minimal subsequent review points)
- Stakeholder relationship management (eg onshore financial control, RBB Financial Operations, Finance Business Partner teams etc.
- SOX compliance and Management Self-Assessment Testing
- Maintain Issues logs
- Standard Journal and Allocation Review
- Understand underlying control frameworks which support the multiple SBU's within range of responsibilities
- Act as Subject Matter Expert for on-shore Financial Control Team
- Driver of continuous improvement of the control environment within Personal banking Financial Control in general and specifically the multiple SBU's within own area
What will you be doing? The key responsibilities of the role include:Financial Control Processes (50%)
- Provide expert reference for customers for areas of focus; providing expert help and guidance on a wide range of complex and difficult subjects By application of their professional knowledge and experience, understand the potential impact of decisions on other areas and interpret requirements
- Act as a centre of excellence by providing in-depth, specialist knowledge and handling difficult issues that have been escalated
- Investigates and resolves the more complex problems, issues and queries, liaising with customers, suppliers and other experts, as appropriate
- Ensuring all processes are completed within the relevant timescales and service levels are maintained
- Assist with ad-hoc projects and reporting requirements as they arise
- Opine on technical queries
- Helping in closure of books of accounts
- Assist in providing an informed view of allocated multiple SBU's, ie explaining how individual business area trends are consolidated.
- Provide accurate and timely financial analysis on a wide range of complex technical/business issues in connection with jobholder's area of responsibility, eg variances, trends, impact of change initiatives, impact of new accounting regulations and how to account for new areas/ types of business
Relationship & Stakeholder Management (20%)
- Manage and develop effective relationships with Business Units, other functions in wider finance
- Liaise with key stakeholders across the business units to identify common issues, opportunities for improvements and act as a central subject matter expert
- Communicate process changes and share knowledge required to successfully implement necessary changes
Advisory & Consultative (30%)
- Support business units providing expert help and guidance including accounting issues
- Ensure consistency of approach across the Business units
What we're looking for?Technical Knowledge
- Demonstrable thorough and up to date understanding of financial accountancy
- Accounting qualification CA, CPA, ACA or ACCA
- The jobholder must have substantial directly relevant experience in a technical financial environment
- Strong post qualification experience
- Background in Finance / Banking
- Strong control awareness
- Enthusiastic, motivated, self-starter, pro-active and team player
- Good Accounting and IT System skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent communicator
- Desire to provide top quality service to internal clients.
- Willingness and ability to take ownership of issues and manage through to a successful resolution
- Expected to take accountability/responsibility of deliverables
- Answerable to questions and able to substantiate data when required by client-facers
- Required to provide detailed analysis and information on complex queries/problems and communicate to stakeholders on proposed solutions and recommendations
- Minimal supervisory oversight and able to perform duties with minimal or no guidance
- Providing innovative judgement which can be contributed as part of the decision making process
- Customer focused consistently meets client needs within constraints of time
- Consistently delivers against targets
- Has good understanding and is up to date on relevant business knowledge
- Ability to scale-up and move up the value-chain within a short time-frame
- Opportunity to be groomed to be future team leaders/managers
- Escalates breaches of policies and procedures appropriately
- Must be regarded as proactive and assertive in driving control improvement for their area
- Strong control awareness - in particular, the individual should be able to identify initiatives which they have led which has directly improved the control environment for the area they work in
- Strong understanding and has the mindset to strive to identify potential control breakdowns in process, also demonstrated with effective procedure manuals
- Ability to streamline processes in a most efficient manner within the team
- Ability to speak / write English fluently
Skills that will help you in the role
- Experience in Financial control / monitoring function or audit function
- Banking or Big4 experience preferred, but not essential
- Experience of working in SAP financial accounting
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays At Barclays, each day is about being more as a professional, and as a person 'Be More @ Barclays' represents our core promise to all current and future employees.
It's the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.
barclays/who-we-are/ for more detailsOur ValuesPurpose and Values We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and StewardshipRespect We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contributionIntegrity We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we doExcellence We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive differenceStewardship We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found themOur Diversity We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our Benefits Our customers are unique The same goes for our colleagues That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues.
If you have a need for flexibility, then please discuss this with us