Rewari District came into existence on 1st November 1989. It was carved out of the areas which were previously parts of Gurgaon and Mohindergarh districts. Rewari is an old city, popularly known as Brass City. It is situated at a distance of 82 Kms from Delhi in its south-west. Rewari district is surrounded by Jhajjar, Mohindergarh and Gurgaon districts of Haryana on its north, west and east sides respectively. It is bound by Alwar district of Rajasthan State on its southern side.
It is believed that there was a King named Rewat at the time of Kauravs and Pandavs. He had a daughter named Rewati whom the King used to address as Rewa. In her name the King founded a city named Rewa wadi. Rewa was lateron married with Balram, the elder brother of Lord Krishna and the city Rewa wadi was given by the King as dowry in her marriage. In the course of time, city Rewa wadi came to known as Rewari.
Rewari district consists of two sub divisions Bawal and Kosli, three tehsils namely Rewari, Kosli and Bawal and five blocks named Rewari, Jatusana, Khol, Bawal and Nahar. For the purpose of criminal administration, the district has been divided in thirteen police stations namely City Rewari, Sadar Rewari, Rampura, G.R.P. Rewari, RPF, Rewari, Model Town, Rewari, Dharuhera, Kasola, Bawal , Khol, Kosli, Jatusana and Rohrari. There are 412 villages in this district, which are administered by 358 gram panchayats as on 12.03.2018.
Honble Sir Shadi Lal, who had adorned the seat of Chief Justice of High Court of Judicature at Lahore from 1920 to 1934 and Member of Judicial Committee, Privy Council, London from 1934 to 1938, hailed from this place. Sir Shadi Lal was born in 1872 in a family well known not only in Rewari, but also in neighbouring areas. He passed away on 27.03.1945.