About Panvel Municipal Corporation
Panvel Municipal Council was formed on August 25, 1852 as the first municipal council in the country.The initial notification for converting Panvel Municipal Council to Municipal Corporation came in the year 1991 but was never finalised. After rapid urbanisation post-2000, Panvel Municipal Council was eventually upgraded to Municipal Corporation in 2016.Panvel Municipal Corporation is the first Municipal Corporation in Raigad district, 9th in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region and 27th in the state of Maharashtra. The Municipal Corporation includes 29 revenue villages of Panvel taluka including CIDCO colonies of Taloja, Kharghar, Kalamboli, Kamothe, New Panvel covering area of 110km.
Panvel (also known as Panwell by the British) is about 300 years old, developed around trade routes (both land and sea), during the Maratha rule and hence after by the Mughal rule, British and the Portuguese. Once upon a time, Panvel was famous for its rice market. Panvel Municipal Council (PMC) was established in the year 1852, and was the oldest municipal council of Maharashtra, before the formation of Panvel Municipal Corporation. Panvel Municipal Councils elections started in the year 1910. The first mayor of the PMC was Mr. Yusuf Noor Mohammed Master Kachchi for the years 1910–1916. The sesquicentennial anniversary (150th anniversary) of the PMC was celebrated in the year 2002. The city prospered and grew due to the influence of large scale trade by land and sea. This was characterised by the large palace-like homes that came up during the Peshwa period. It is also said that old name of this city was Paneli (Panelim in Konkani). There were historic cannons (during the time of Shivaji) situated on Panvel fort. On 1 October 2016, Panvel Municipal Corporation came into existence.