Applications/ nominations for the post of Secretary, Department of Legal Affairs.
Government of India invites applications/nominations for the post of Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Legal Affairs (DoLA).
- The mandate of the Department of Legal Affairs is as follows :-
- Advice to Ministries on legal matters including interpretation of the Constitution and the laws, conveyancing and engagement of counsel to appear on behalf of the Union of India in the High Courts and subordinate courts where the Union of India is a
- Attorney General of India, Solicitor General of India, and other Central Government law officers of the States whose services are shared by the Ministries of the Government of
- Conduct of cases in the Supreme Court and the High Courts on behalf of the Central Government and on behalf of the Governments of States participating in the Central Agency
- Reciprocal arrangements with foreign countries for the service of summons in civil suits for the execution of decrees of Civil Courts, for the enforcement of maintenance orders, and for the administration of the estates of foreigners dying in India.
- Authorization of officers to execute contracts and assurances of property on behalf of the President under Article 299(1) of the Constitution, and authorization of officers to sign and verify plaints or written statements in suits by or against the Central
- Indian Legal
- Treaties and agreements with foreign countries in matters of civil
- Legal Profession including the Advocates Act, 1961 (25 of 1961) and persons entitled to practice before High
- Enlargement of the jurisdiction of Supreme Court and the conferring thereon of further powers; persons entitled to practice before the Supreme Court, references to the Supreme Court under Article 143 of the Constitution of
- Administration of the Notaries Act, 1952 (53 of 1952).
- Income-tax Appellate
- Essential Qualifications for the post are as follows : A Law graduate from recognized university or
B (i) is or has been a District Judge. OR
- Officer of Indian Legal Service working in the scale of Additional Secretary to the Government of India having experience of one year in that scale. OR
- Is a person of ability and having special knowledge of Law and professional experience of not less than 25 years in the areas of law, legal affairs, or any other field which in the opinion of Central Government would be useful to the post. OR
- Practicing advocate: -
- having not less than 25 years of experience in the field of Law as advocate in the Supreme Court/High Court and
- must have 25 recorded judgements with applicant as the lead advocate. OR
(v) Law Officer working in public/ reputed private sector organizations/law firms of repute at senior and responsible positions having not less than 25 years' experience in handling legal issues/cases pertaining to Constitutional Law/ Service Law/Commercial matters, Arbitration etc.
Note : An applicant, with combined experience of 25 years as practicing advocate in the Supreme Court/High Court (Category B (iv) above) and as Law Officer working in public/reputed private sector organizations/law firms of repute at senior and responsible positions
(Category B (v) above), will
also be eligible to apply.
4. Tenure : Upto five years or
till the age of 60 years,
whichever is earlier.
5. Mode of Appointment :
In case of District Judge/
Central Government Ser-
vants/ State Government
Universities etc. on
deputation basis and in case
of other categories on direct
6. Age Criterion : Preferably
below the age of 57 years as
on last date of receiving the
7. Pay and Emoluments :
Rs. 2,25,000/- (Level 17 of
the pay matrix) and other
allowances as admissible in
respect of Secretary to
Government of India.
8. The Search-cum-Selection
Committee reserves the right
to suitably modify the
eligibility criteria, if
considered necessary and
also to consider outstanding
candidates who have not
applied for the post.
9. Last date for receiving
12th April, 2019.
10. Address for receiving
may be sent by post/courier
to Shri A.K. Joshi, Deputy
Secretary, Room No. 418-A,
A-Wing, Fourth Floor,
Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi -
Application for the post of
Secretary, Department of
Looking for Any Graduate graduates profile.