Jindal Placement Paper : Jindal Placement Paper new delhi 25 November 2009
I am Harsh Tiwari from JSS college, noida. im a student of ECE, final year and i appeared for jindal steels GET 2010 recruitment process. to start with a happy note, im glad to tell that i finally got selected in jindal steels thru the above mentioned process, and i hope that this article helps future aspirants to its very best. talking of jindal steels, ive alwz had an impression that it is really a company worth joining, and their selection process is also a challanging one. ill be glad if the readers find this article helpful, and i wud advice you to post more experiences of yours here.
GET recruitment process of jindal steels is divided into three parts :
- Written test
- Group Discussion
- Personal interview
let us start with written test first of all... a large number of people had applied for this exam this year, approx 42000.. it was scheduled on 4th october, 2009.. the paper consisted of 115 questions in total, and time limit was 115 minutes.. this meanz that u hav to be good at time management.. use ur watch well and keep a track of time.. the paper was splitted in two sections, and there was NO negative marking..
APTITUDE SECTION :-
first section was aptitude section, which had 55 questions.. following is a description of aptitude part, as much
as i could remember..
VERBAL(20 questions) consisted of 10 questions on comprehension.
5 questions on word meanings, synonym.
5 questions on fill in the blanks with articles.
NON-VERBAL (15 questions) consisted of 10 questions on data interpretation and number perception.
QUANT(20 questions) consisted of questions based on Ratio and Proportion (4 Q), Profit and Loss, Percentage, Time
and Work (2 Q), Average (1 Q), allegation and mixtures (1 Q)... for example...
1. average of a 4 member family 10 years ago is 24 . in these 10 years a pair of twins come into the family. but
yet after 10 years, the average remains 24. find the age of the twins.
options: 3, 4 , 5 , none of the options.
2.two persons are in election. 55% of the valid votes are with one person and 20% of votes are invalid.
total number of votes are 7500.
find the number of votes with other person.
3. percentage questions.
4. a man sells 4 t.v in the cost price of 5 t.v . find profit %
5. to check in details.
as 3 options given : a big series , to check if all are similar.
6. 10 questions in verbal ability.
a) to choose similar words from options given.
b) 2 long comprehension passages, but both of these were worth attempting (really easy) .
c) Appropriate use of preposition in sentences
7) 3 questions on computation as * for + , - for / , like that.
How many 2’s are just after an odd digit?
b. ,+’ is for ‘*’………..’-‘ is for ‘+’….’*’ for ‘/’…….’/’ for ‘-‘…
c. M for multiplication, D for division, A for Addition, S for substration
Then solve… 8M6A9S1D3A6D8
8. Case study sort of.. given some conditions..f the students to be admitted to a college.. and so to answer if
admitted or not.
9.Meaning of words used in sentence.example: "bonafide" was the word used in sentence( dont remember the sentence) and u had to find its meaning from options(4 qs).
10.use of prepositions and articles
11.majority of problem solving questions were based on chapters like profit and loss,percentage,geometry( 2 questions in my paper i remember), time and distance,progressions(ex: 15th term of the fibonacci series ) ratio propertions.Not all qs were from these but majority were.
12.some data interpretation questions and problem solving qs were as follows::
(a) replace * with +./ with -,+ with *,- with / and solve the following questions
24/78+90*87-87/878 (values are arbitraryly put here but ques looked like this and there were 2qs)
(b) a passage was given with informations about 3 guest houses red,green,yellow and their details like accommodation status, fees, advance fees, reservation criteria. etc. followed by 3 ques based on them (typical data interpretation qs, 2 such passages were there =6qs)
(c)A,B,C are three vertices of a triangle and triangle DEF is formed by joining midpoints of the triangle abc respectively.what is the ratio of the area of triangle DEF to TRIANGLE ABC?
(d)ram ,s salry is 20 % less than raj salary,vikram,s salary is 55 % more than raj,s salry.if raj saves 20% of the salary which equal to rs.2000, what is vikram,s salry?(values changed but qs was on these concepts).. I would not call the questions tough at any cost, but the time constraint was the biggest factor. i could attempt the RC section correctly, and i believe it made a difference..
TECHNICAL SECTION :-
I appeared for control and instrumentation stream. But, most of the questions were from Electronics and communication, so frenz from ECE, its a really great opportunity for u guys.. there were 60 questions, and none of them involved much of calculations.. they were either theoretical, or sum direct formula based questions..
1. equation of the transportation problem.
2. auto-correlation has which symmetry : even symmetry
3. given a pcm has bit rate as 36000 bits/sec. and maximum fm = 3.2 khz. find the sampling rate.
4.some questions were with 8051 chip.
5.highest priority in interuppt in 8085 is :
6.given a source voltage sinusoidal voltage v=200 sin 314t ,load resistance is 10 ohms and the angle of firing is 90 degree in scr. find the current options 10, 5 , 5v2,
7. turn on time for a scr is ----- than turn off time.
8. the coefficient of pd controller is k = sinwt/wa , -sinwt/wa , costwt/wa , -coswt/wa.
9. what does hold signal represent in 8085.
10.The peak voltage in half wave rectifier is v and power is p. what will be the value of voltage and power in a full wave bridge rectifier , if other conditions unchanged.
a)V , P b) 2V, P , c)2V,2P
11. in a semi converter , the firing angle is 60 degree. what is the conduction angle for the Scr present.
12. Given a G(s) 1/(s-1)(s+2)(s+3). how many times will it encircle the origin in a nyquist plot.
13. Given a routh table with 2 rows as S4 1 2 4
S3 10 20 ,then find the number of roots lying in RHS side of x plane.
14. in 8085, the length of general purpose registers ?
15. what is cycloconvertor ( changes higher frequency to lower one and vice-versa in one step)
16. what should be the width of pmos w.r.t nmos, so that current loss is minimum. ( This was based on the fact that nmos construction requires lesser area than pmos for the same amount current flowing through it)
17. number of overlap scr conducting in 1 phase full wave rectifier.
18. blind speed can be rectified by changed by ..............
19. What type of digital circuits dont depend on the input from previous states . combinational circuits
20. Which component of superhetrodyne receivers provide image frequency selectivity.
21. Given an ampitude modulated x(t) = 20 sin100wt + 10sin300wt - 20sin50wt. find fm.
22. If the amplitude of a FM wave is made two times , then what will be its effect on the frequency deviation of the wave.
23. What is quantization.
24. If the value of e ( damping ratio) is 0<1, < eqn. characteristic the of roots about said be can what> imaginary , or complex conjugates, real and equal , real and unequal.
25. G(s) = 1/s2 + 4s + 25 . Find the time when the output reaches the maximum for the first time (Peak time)
26. What is PUSH related to in 8085 :- stack, accumulator, .........
27. Difficulty with servomotor.. ( dead space, backlash, saturation of core...)
28. Which filter is to be used for finding the o/p between f1 and f2 . ( band-pass, low-pass , band-stop,high-pass)
29. What is the potential difference b/w electrodes in a cell called ( positive potential, negative, electrode potential)
30. What are the three inputs of IGBT called (emitter, collector and gate)
31. What is the instrument used to measure the movement of ear pulses called ( ECG,EOG, EFG,... )
32. What is the instrument used in ECG called..
33. Find the Z transform of an u(n-5)
34. What is snubber circuit used for (increasing dv/dt, decreasing dv/dt, overvoltage protection)
35. LVDT is which type of transducer : inductive , capacitive..
36. What is transfer function in terms of transform
37. Find the Z transform of G(s) = 1/ (s+1)2
38. IF in a transfer function there are multiple repeating poles , what can be said about it’s stability Options: It will oscillate and will be stable, It will be unstable
39. One question was related to : x-plot, y-plot, T-plot
40. One question was related to power cup.
41. One numerical on strain gauge.
42. One question on Bilinear Transformation(DSP)
43. One question on linear programming problem(OR)
and few other questions, which i dont remember, but were easy.. the written round was easy to clear finally...
GROUP DISCUSSION :-
This was the next stage of the process, and GD was NOT an elimination process. the students arrived at the
interview venue were randomly divided into groups of 10 people each, and were sent into a conference room for GD.
there were three people for evaluation. all of them were very friendly, they welcomed us with a smile. they will
see your attitude, body language, confidence levels and leadership qualities. try to maintain a little smile on ur face through out d process (i did). The topic was been given to us after entering the hall, and they told us to take the seat. A white sheet and synopsis of the topic was also given to us and after 3-5 minute of reading they told us to start the GD. Do try to put down watever you are thinking (in points, not much) on that white paper, as you are asked to submit that paper back, with your name on it. They are giving the topic as Common topic or topic related from Current affairs. If u have some nice conclusions related to that topic then tell as conclusions in the end when they ask about conclusions (they will, generally). Do not speak too much they also check your listening skills. And lastly, try your level best not to create a mess out of everything. My group was very co-operative, and we decided to let one person speak ata time, in clockwise manner ( i proposed this !!!), and then we had an open- house. We also concluded our topic with a unanimous stand of the whole group. This really pits a good impression in any GD.
The topic given to my group was : Experience v/s Youth
other topics were :
>Examination- Is it ruining Education
>Girls are fitted in working in manufacturing industry
>Is delhi an apt venue for commonwealth games?
and few other similar topics...
PERSONAL INTERVIEW (TECH-CUM-HR) :-
I finally had my number for interview. I wont say that i was nervous or scared, but it did feel like my first job interview. The interviewing panel consisted of 3 people, who seemed quite senior. Thankfully, they were very supportive, encouraging and friendly. The first question to me was Tell me about yourself, which i answered confidently, as i had prepared this answer. Do prepare answer to this question well, as this wud be the opening question of most of your interviews. They also asked me my two favorite subjects. i told microprocessors and digital design. Now, i had read previous year blogs that they generally ask questions from subjects which you mention as your favourite subjects. But this was NOT the case with me. To my surprise, they did not ask a single ques from those subjects.
The questions to me were :-
> explain kirchoffs current law.
> draw circuit diagram and input-output waveforms of a 3-phase bridge rectifier, and explain them.
> why is a capacitor used in a rectifier, and what wud change if it is repalced by an inductor.
> what is communication, and what are problems faced in communication systems.
> explain controller action.
> elaborate last answer by comparing the actions of P, PI and PID controllers.
> stability of systems.
> discussion on Lead-lag compensators.
> all of a sudden, i was asked to tell the names of the subjects ive studied in B.Tech!!!
> polymorphism in c++.
> why jindal steels?
> being of ECE branch, wud i be able to adjust in a job meant for Instrumentstion?
> 2 incidents of my college life that i wud never forget.
and few other questions. My interview lasted for 25 minutes. All in all, it was an awesome experience.
I hope i cud help u in ur preparations for jindal steels exam.